The Records Unit is responsible for all documents generated by the Police Department. These documents include all criminal reports, arrest reports, traffic crash reports, traffic citations, and city ordinance summons which are submitted to the Records Unit for review, data input, storage, and archiving. In addition, the Records Unit is tasked with processing and verifying the department’s payroll prior to submitting it to the Town of Smyrna Finance Office.
HOW TO OBTAIN A COPY OF A POLICE REPORT
The Smyrna Police Department takes very seriously the release of personal information regarding those citizens with whom we come in contact. You can be assured that we will only release protected information after obtaining proof of the identities of the persons requesting documents.
Please refer to the list below for information on how to request and/or obtain a copy of a police report. In most cases, reports are ready for release within 7-10 days of the applicable incident.
- The Smyrna Police Department will release a “Victim’s Copy” of a crime report to any victim listed on the report. You must appear in person with photo ID to obtain your copy, however, you should contact our Records Unit at 223-7032 (Mon-Fri, 7:30-4:30) in advance to verify that the report has been processed and is ready to release.
- In the case of a minor child, a custodial parent/legal guardian may obtain the Victim’s Copy; in the case of a deceased victim, the next of kin may obtain. (Proof of relationship required)
- There is no fee for a Victim’s Copy of a crime report.
- Copies of crime reports are not released to anyone other than the stated victim unless directed via a court-issued subpoena.
- Insurance companies may request copies of crime reports relating to their insured’s property only; no suspect information is released. Requests must be made in writing, fees apply.
- Drivers or Owners of vehicles involved in a crash may purchase a copy of the crash report.
- Insurance companies may purchase a copy of crash reports involving their insured via a written request and applicable payment.
- The current fee for a crash report is $25.00, all fatal accident reports are $60.00 (subject to change without notice)
- Contact our Records Unit at 223-7032 (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m.-4:00 p.m.) in advance to verify that the crash report has been processed and is ready to release.
- For faster results, please have the Crash Information Exchange Form that (provided at the time of the crash) for reference.
Traffic Ticket/Uniform Traffic Summons
- If you are issued a Uniform Traffic Summons (including parking summons) and lose/misplace your copy of the ticket, we are happy to provide you with a copy.
- You must appear in person with photo ID to obtain your copy. No copy fees apply.